1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the discussion and the any insights you gained from it.
4. Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
In teams, by the end of the week students will compose a research-based essay and informational brochure focusing on the Five Selves. This essay must be in APA format with a minimum of five (5) professional references.
The Whole Child text is a practical methods book for foundational or introductory courses in early childhood education. It explains how to teach and care for young children from infancy through Grade 3 in ways that foster healthy development. It helps pre-service teachers understand what children need from the learning environment in order to thrive. For that reason, it focuses on the child and pictures him or her as composed of a number of selves: the physical self, the emotional self, the social self, the cognitive self, and the creative self.
Part 1: Essay
In your essay, provide a comprehensive explanation of each of the Five Selves.
- Physical Self
- Emotional Self
- Social Self
- Cognitive Self
- Creative Self
The explanation will include, but is not limited to:
- The benefits of developing each
- Research connected to each self
- Specific strategies that educators can implement to develop each self
You will use the text as your guide, but you will also use outside research by citing a minimum of five (5) professional references.
Part 2: Brochure
Create a research-based brochure for families that outlines the Five Selves. Include:
- Explanation of each self
- The importance/benefits of developing each self
- One specific strategy that families can implement for developing each self in children
Be sure to use all six panels on the brochure wisely and include a solid balance between text and graphics. Three (3) references must be included on this brochure.